Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Every girl crazy 'bout a Sharp Dressed (Enlisted) Man

Hats are one of the most personal items of any uniform. They are ideal for collecting as they vary widely in price, styles, and are easily available. Even a hat that has been neglected or damaged can, with care, be reassembled or formed back into shape and look great on display. While the majority of hats out there don't have any sort of identification, sometimes you will be lucky enough to come across one with a name written or stamped inside, or, in higher quality caps, have a name card inserted into the lining. Understandably, the nicer caps I have seen have always belonged to an officer, as they had the funds to privately purchase tailored uniforms. But the other day I came across an anomaly that I hadn't seen before.
I was at an outdoor antique fair and came across a guy who was selling his recently-deceased friend's 30+ year militaria collection. On a table he had a few hats, and there this one sat on top of another. I am  familiar with the early war uniforms that were made in what they call "chocolate brown," as opposed to the olive drab. I actually own a couple, and they are very nice, but I had never seen a hat that was in the same chocolate brown shade. But here was this hat, in brown, and not only that, but with an enlisted man's insignia, not an officer's. It was in incredible condition, no moth holes or tears or rotting leather. To my surprise, I was holding a privately purchased, tailor made Army enlisted man's hat.

"All eyez on me."
The leather just by itself is amazing. It shines almost like it's plastic, with only a few scuff marks on the bill, which could have happened during transport (I think the guy had to bring it in from another state). There isn't any name inside, which is a shame, because I would have liked to know more about the guy who sported this thing. He obviously had a sense of style, because this hat is no joke. It must have cost a fortune on his salary, and you know you can't have a good hat with a sub-par uniform. I bet that was tailored as well.


Even the inside is pristine, so either it saw very little use or was very well taken care of. Either way, it tells a story in itself. Just the multi-colored label is a great representation of American patriotism in commercial advertising and labeling of the time, and the innumerable ways they managed to work a "V" into everything.

V for Victory!
So no surprise, I had to have it, and the guy dropped his price for me to $25, which was a gift in itself. I ran home and (carefully) put it on a head form on display in a bookshelf behind glass. When I look at it, I just try to imagine how sharp this soldier looked walking down the street or heading into a USO dance, the envy of his buddies in their issued garb, on a mission from god to snag the eye of every lady he passed. I mean, let's be honest, why else would a guy put that much effort into what he wears?

No comments:

Post a Comment